How long to boil a beef tongue?
Beef tongue is cooked for 3-3,5 hours covered with a kid on low heat, veal tongue is cooked for 2 hours. Take off skin from the tongue (better after boiling) before eating. Add salt for half an hour before the end of cooking.
Beef tongue is cooked for at least 30 minutes in a pressure cooker, for 4 hours in a multicooker in Stewing mode and for 3 hours in a steamer.
How to cook beef tongue
1. Wash beef tongue thoroughly and clean with a brush.
2. Put beef tongue in a pot, pour with cold water and put on heat.
3. Drain water in 15 minutes after boiling, pour the tongue with fresh water and put the pot on heat again.
4. Cook beef tongue for 2 hours covered with a lid.
5. Peel onion and carrot, add to the tongue in the boiling broth and boil for more half an hour.
6. Add pepper and bay leaves, cook for more half an hour.
7. Cool the tongue under cold water, remove onion and carrot.
8. Take off skin form the tongue.
9. Chop the beef tongue, add salt (it's better to use salt solution0 and dish up with pleasure!
Roast beef tongue
Beef tongue - 700-800 grams
Sour cream - 4 tablespoons,
Mustard sauce or mild mustard - 2 tablespoons,
Onion - 3 small heads,
Carrots - 1 large or 2 medium-sized,
Bay leaf, salt, pepper and other spices - to taste.
Cooking beef tongue
While cooking add grated carrot to the beef tongue, pepper and bay leaf. Remove the pellicle from the beef tongue. Cut the tongue into pieces, mix with chopped onion, add seasoning, put in layers in baking dish (you can make the form out of the foil on a baking sheet), brush each layer with sour cream mixed with mustard sauce, and put in preheated 200 ° oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
1. You may check if beef tongue is cooked by punching the end of it with a knife or a fork. If a knife or fork comes easily in it - your tongue is ready. If punching demands some efforts, give it more boiling.
Another way to understand that it is done: skin should be separated easily from cooked tongue, but if skin is not being peeled or peeled with efforts, you should boil tongue for some more time.
2. If it turned out that beef tongue wasn't cooked enough, you may finish its cooking - put it in cold water, bring water to a boil and boil the tongue, checking every 20 minutes if it's done. If beef tongue has been already chopped, you may roast it.
3. After half an hour of boiling add onion and carrot and seasonings to the beef tongue. Vegetables and seasonings are especially necessary if you want to use the broth in soup, sauce or aspic.
4. How to properly clean beef tongue after boiling: take it from a pot with boiling water and put in icy water for 1 minute and then remove whitish skin from the tongue using a knife. Moreover, peeled tongue should not be kept uncovered - cover it with a lid immediately after peeling so it didn't get dry. If you need to clean beef tongue before boiling, soak it beforehand in cold water for half an hour.
6. Weight of veal tongue is about 350-400 grams, and weight of beef tongue is from 800 grams up to 2 kilograms. Tongue weighing over 1.5 kilograms should be cooked for half an hour longer.
7. It's better to boil beef tongue in a pot that has free space, as the tongue increases in size for about 10% during boiling.
8. Feast aspic can be cooked of tongue.
Salad with Boiled Tongue
Beef tongue - 100 - 150 grams
Potato - 2 small potatoes
Chicken eggs - 2 pieces
Pickled cucumbers - 6 small cucumbers
Pickled champignons - 100 grams
Mayonnaise or sour cream - 2 tablespoons
Dill - 20 grams
Salad with Boiled Tongue Recipe
1. Boil beef tongue, potatoes (unpeeled) and eggs in separate pots and peel them.
2. Cut tongue into fine slices, dice potatoes, pickled cucumbers and eggs, cut champignons in slices.
3. Pour beef tongue, potatoes and eggs with mayonnaise or sour cream, stir, top with chopped dill.