How long calamari should be boiled
Calamari are boiled in boiling water under a lid for 1-2 minutes.
Calamari can be alternatively boiled in this way: boil for half a minute after boiling, turn heat off and let it stay for 10 minutes.
Defreeze calamari rings and boil for 1 minute.
How to cook calamari
1. If calamari are frozen, defreeze them at room temperature.
2. Splash the calamari with boiling water so that it is easy to peel them.
3. Remove skin and spine from the Calamari, gently pry up the skin with a fingernail.
4. Bring 2 glasses of water to a boil for 3 small Calamari.
5. Put bay leaves and pepper into boiling water.
6. Put the seafood into a pot with water.
7. Cook calamari for 3 minutes, then take out of the pot.
How to cook cooled calamari
1. Rinse Calamari, using a knife cut off the skin from outer and inner side of carcass and fins.
2. Bring water to boiling, add salt and spices.
3. Put the calamari in water in the pot, boil for 1-2 minutes depending on its size.
How to cook calamari quickly
You may cook calamari for only 30 seconds by putting them in water.
During this time calamari is cooked and almost does not lose its size.
On the photo: above - calamari after 2 minutes of boiling, below - after 30 seconds of boiling.
How to cook calamari without defrosting
1. The frozen calamari (the whole carcass, rings or peeled calamari) should not be unfrozen.
2. Pour water in a pot more than enough to cover all frozen calamari.
3. Put the pot on heat, bring water to boiling.
4. Add salt, pepper and bay leaf.
5. Put the calamari into boiling water and boil for 1 minute.
6. Turn heat off, cover with a lid and let the calamari stay for 10 minutes.
How to cook calamari in a multicooker
1. Pour water in a multicooker bowl, set the device to "Boiling" program.
2. Add some salt and spices.
3. Put unfrozen calamari carcasses or rings into boiling water.
4. Close the multicooker, cook for 2 minutes, then do not open the device for 3 minutes.
How to cook calamari in a steamer
1. Fill the tank with water, add salt and spices.
2. Put the calamari in 1 raw in the steamer tray.
3. Cook the calamari in a steamer for 7 minutes.
How to cook calamari in a microwave
This method is recommended if you haven't stove and softness of calamari does not matter
1. Spray unfrozen calamari with oil, lemon juice and spices.
2. Put the calamari in the microwave container.
3. Set the microwave to 1000 W, cook for 1-3 minutes depending on the amount of calamari (1-3).
What we can eat in Calamari
1. Carcass is the largest part of calamari which is obvious for eating. It is often sold already peeled.
2. Fins are more solid and fleshy than carcasses of calamari.
3. Tentacles is a delicate part of calamari which requires careful cleaning. Tentacle are cheaper than carcasses as a rule, due to forthcoming difficult cleaning - carcasses of calamari is much easier to clean than each of its multiple tentacles. Moreover, the tentacles have suckers which should be also peeled.
Consequently, other parts of calamari cannot be cooked.
Head, gladius (long translucent cartilage) and intenses are not good for eating.
Is it necessary to remove skin/membrane from Calamari?
- calamari (especially those which have other than white colour) have skin and membrane. During boiling of calamari its skin rolls in foam after cooking the calamari should only be rinsed. But calamari has also membrane - a thin film which covers its inner and outer side. There is a question: should we remove this membrane - if yes, why we should? The main reason for it is taste preferences. Slices of boiled calamari with skin will be slightly springy when you begin to bite them. Besides, thin but very elastic membrane may be stuck between your teeth by chewing and it may be too long to swallow it at ease.
In the Mediterranean countries it is usual to peel calamari skin off and leave the membrane. It's another matter that the freshest Mediterranean calamari are clean in 2 movements - you just need to pass the edge of the knife over a carcass. However, in our stores only chilled or frozen carcasses are sold. It is recommended to splash the unfrozen seafood with boiling water prior to cleaning.
If Calamaris overcooked
Calamaris tend to shrink in size and become like tight rubber if they are cooked over 3 minutes.
However, if you overcooked them occasionally, cook for more 20 minutes, then calamari become soft again, though decrease almost twice in size.
How to choose calamari
- It is important that calamari were frozen for the first time. If you suspect that they have been unfrozen earlier (if you see that the carcasses stuck together or broken) - do not buy them, they will taste bitter and tear during boiling.
- Calamari skin may be of any colour but meat should be only white. Boiled calamari meat should also have white colour.
- The most high-quality calamari are unpeeled and with skin. They can be hardly ever found in ice pads in elite shops. More often unpeeled calamari are sold completely frozen and here again it is necessary to look over quality of freezing.
This determines if calamari will be soft and juicy. - Large white cubes are sold in stores under the guise of Calamari. This is low quality seafood with bitter taste and mealy body.
If calamari smell strong
More often Calamaris have strong smell due to improper storage - for example, together with fish.
Greens (added in water during boiling) or lemon juice (sprayed on cooked Calamari) can help to delete bad smell.
How to serve Calamari
You may fry boiled calamari with rice or potato.
Or you may cut them into rings, spray with lemon juice and salt - and you get a finished dish.
How to store Calamari
Frozen calamari should be stored in freezer. Boiled calamari can be stored for 2 days in broth where they were cooked, covered with a lid.
Calorific value of boiled Calamari
110 kcal/100 grams
Shelf life of boiled Calamari
Keep in closed dish in the refrigerator for 2 days.
Potatoes with squid recipe
Cook 5-6 squids, put them on a plate, wait until they cool down. Cut 7 -10 potatoes into straw pieces and fry it with your favorite spices. Cut squids into straw pieces and add to the potatoes, roast potatoes and squids for 10 minutes. The dish is ready.