How long to boil beetroot
Boil beetroot for 40-50 minutes.
Do not peel beetroot before boiling.
How to properly cook beets
1.To cook beetroots, do not peel it or cut off its tail.
2. Wash beetroots carefully, use a brush.
3. Get an enamel pot ready for cooking, fill it with water (so that water fully covers vegetables), put it over heat and wait till the water starts boiling.
4. Squeeze juice from 1 lemon (for 3 litres of water), take out seeds and pour the juice into the pot with water.
5. Place beetroots into the pot, then reduce the heat to low mode.
6. Put a lid over the pot and cook for 40-50 minutes depending on the beetroot size.
7. Test the beetroots state by poking them with a fork: beetroots are ready when a fork comes easily into them. If it is hard to poke the beets with a fork, boil them for another 10 minutes and then test them again.
8. Pour cold water into cooked beets and let it get cool down for 10 minutes.
9. Peel your beetroots - they are cooked!
How to cook beetroots in a steamer, a multicooker, a pressure cooker and a microwave
Cook pre-peeled and strawed beetroots in a pressure cooker for 20 minutes; uncut beetroots should be cooked in a pressure cooker for 35 minutes.
For a microwave, take a special bowl for microwave ovens or a plastic bag: wash beets carefully, prick the vegetables through with a spike in many places (30 times), cook at the maximum power (800 W) for 10 minutes. Without water.
In a steamer, whole beetroots should be cooked for 50 minutes, and strips of beetroots - for 30 minutes.
In a microwave, large root crop should be cooked for 1 hour, one of a medium size - for 40 minutes at the "Baking" mode. In a multicooker, boil beetroots cubes for 15 minutes.
How to boil beets quickly
this method is not applied to old vegetable
1. Pour the beets with water, 2 centimeters above the level of beet.
2. Put the pot on fire, then add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (the cooking temperature should be above 100 degrees) and cook it for half an hour after boiling at medium heat.
3. Drain and pour vegetable with ice-cold water (first drain the water and pour the fresh water to keep the beet in the ice-cold water).
How to cook tasty beetroots
- It is best to put beetroots into boiling unsalted water, as beetroots are sweet and should be cooked until the salt evaporates. Moreover, salt makes the vegetable firm in the process of cooking. It is better to salt a cooked dish, then salty flavor will be natural.
- When cooking beetroots, it is important to make sure that water covers them fully and add water, if necessary. After cooking, you can place them in ice-cold water - then the peeling process will be easier.
- After cooking, do not pour broth out - strained broth can serve as an excellent urinative and laxative agent. Beetroot broth acts as a healing media for liver, cleans it, with all harmful substances getting out in a natural way.
- If you cook sliced beetroot, it is recommended to add a tablespoon of 9% vinegar, a tablespoon of lemon juice or a teaspoon of sugar to water to prevent discolouring.
- To get rid of strong smell, just add a dark bread crust while cooking.
- Beet tops (beet leaves) are eatable and very healthy.
Good vegetable should be of medium size, its color should be dark, with no green inclusions. If we are able to determine thickness of the peel at the store, remember that the ripe juicy beet has a thin delicate peel.
A simple beetroot soup recipe
The ingredients of beetroot soup
In order to prepare the beetroot soup for 3-4 people you will need: 3-4 beets, 2-3 pc. potatoes, 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Black pepper, salt and herbs, bay leaves - to taste.
Total cooking time - 1 hour.
Beetroot soup recipe
Peel beets] and grate them, fry beets for 3-4 minutes with vinegar, add 3-4 tablespoons of water and put the lid for 10-15 minutes.
Boil water, boil diced potatoes for 5 minutes, add stewed beet, season it. Cook for 10-15 minutes. Serve with chopped herbs and sour cream.