How long to boil rice?
Boil rice for 15 minutes, until it absorbes all the water.
How to cook rice
1. Measure out rice, pour it into a colander or a sieve, rinse it for a couple of minutes till the water gets transparent.
2. Pour rice into a non-enamel pan, fill it with cold water at the ratio of 1:2 (for instance, 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice).
3. Add some salt and seasoning, a spoon of oil can make it more delicate.
4. Put the pot at low heat, cover it with lead tightly.
5. Cook rice for 20 minutes, it is cooked when the water is completely boiled down.
6. Taste the rice - it is ready when it is soft; if it is not - add 1/4 glass of water and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Lay the cooked rice out on plates and serve. .
How to cook rice
1. Rinse the rice.
2. Put the rice into a bowl for microwave.
3. Add some salty boiling water (2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice).
4. Close the container with rice with a lid.
5. Place the rice into a microwave.
6. Calibrate full capacity of SFH (700-800 W), turn it on for 5 minutes. Stir it.
7. Calibrate SFH for 500 W, cook the rice for another 13-15 minutes.
7. Let the rice stay in the microwave with a closed lid for 20 minutes.
How to cook rice in a multicooker
1. Rinse the rice.
2. Lay the rinsed rice out into a multicooker.
3. Add some boiling water at the rate of: 5 multicups of water for 3 multicups of rice.
4. Add some salt and butter, start "buckwheat" or "rice" mode, and cook it till you hear an audio signal.
Easy way to cook steamed rice in a multicooker
1. Rinse the rice, let the water drain out, and put it into a special container for rice.
2. Fill the multicooker bowl with water at the ratio of 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice, add some seasoning (pepper, turmeric, rosemary, etc.) and salt.
3. Cook rice in a multicooker at the "steaming" mode for 40 minutes, then let it stay with a closed multicooker lid for 5 minutes.
How to cook rice in a steamer
1. Sort out the rice, rinse it for 1 minute till the water in the sieve gets transparent (if necessary), let the water drain out.
2. Lay the rice out into a bowl, fill it with boiling water so that it is 1 centimeter over the rice, and let it stay for 30 minutes.
3. Drain the water, lay the rice out to the steamer grill-tray for rice. It is very important that container for rice should be filled not exceeding its half line, as rice will increase in size in the process of cooking.
4. Level the rice in the container so that steam could sustainably parboil it.
5. Fill the steamer container with water.
6. Start the steamer at the "grit" mode.
7. Cook the rice in a steamer for 30 minutes.
8. Do not stir the rice, spray it with a spoon of sunflower oil or dairy butter, let it stay with a closed lid for 5 minutes.
How to cook rice in a frying pan
1. Pour water, salt and rice into a frying pan at the ratio of 1:2; pour a tablespoon of vegetable oil for a half-glass of rice.
2. Cook the rice in a frying pan for 15-20 minutes after the water starts boiling, covered with a lid, at low heat.
When it is 3 minutes to finish, you can pour soy sauce to your taste.
How to cook rice in a bag
Cook white parboiled rice in a bag for 12-15 minutes. Cook brown rice in a bag for 20-25 minutes. Put the rice in a bag into boiling water - you don't need to comply with any ratios for rice or water so that there are 2 centimeters of water over the bag with rice.
How to cook rice for a salad
Cook rice for cold salads that are not to be warmed until it is ready.
How to cook rice for meatballs
Cook rice for meatballs for 10 minutes less, as modeled meatballs are to stay in a sauce for some time until the rice gets ready.
How to cook rice for sushi
Rice for sushi and rolls (the same for Sen Soy rice) is small and round, cook rice for sushi for 15-20 minutes, dry it for 20 minutes after boiling.
Different situations that may occur in the process of cooking rice
What should I do if the rice is soft
Here are the options:
1. If you cook the rice for pilaw or for any other dish that requires short-eating rice, then cook it once again. If all conditions were met - take another sort of rice that is appropriate for this dish.
2. You can fry your soft rice with an egg for breakfast or make a rice au gratin.
3. Soft rice is perfect for stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbages.
4. Soft rice is also suitable for soups.
Should I stir the rice in the process of cooking?
You must not do it. If you stir the rice in the process of cooking it becomes soft.
What should I do with undercooked rice?
If the rice was cooked for an appropriate period of time with a lid covering it, pour a fourth-glass of water and cook for another 3 minutes. Then taste the rice and do it once again if necessary.
If the rice that was cooked yesterday is dryish, boil it with water and butter - it will get softer in 5-7 minutes.
If the undercooked rice for sushi is already cold - it is almost impossible to make it cooked, as it will not be able to stick together after another cooking.
What should I do if the rice is undercooked while the water has boiled out from the pot
If the water has boiled out and the rice is still dryish - add some boiling water (half a cup of boiling water for 1 glass of rice), do not stir it, cook it for another 3-4 minutes and then taste it.
How to get rice of a beautiful colour
You may get a beautiful colour by adding seasoning. If you don't want rice to get yellow, add some curry or turmeric (1 heaped teaspoon for 1 cup of raw grit). If you want rice to get red, fry it after boiling with a small amount of beetroot (1 cup or rice - 1 beetroot of a middle size). For exotic serving make one part of rice yellow and make the other red - then mix them together or serve on different plates placed next to each other.
Ratios for cooking rice
How much rice do I need for 2 and 4 helpings
For 4 big helpings of a side dish you will need 1 cup of the grit.
How much does rice increase in size due to cooking
When being cooked rice gets 3 times bigger. The same is for weight - 150 grams of raw grit make 400-430 grams of cooked rice.
How to store rice
How to store cooked rice
Store the rice covered, for 3-4 days, in a fridge.
Is old rice suitable for cooking
Old rice is likely to get soft, it is not recommended to rinse it, it is more suitable for cream soups and porridges.
Types of rice and time required for cooking
By grain type:
- Long-grain rice: thin grains, less than a centimeter long, doesn't stick together in the process of cooking, to be served with meat and fish. Cook for 20 minutes with a ratio for water and long-grain rice - 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- Medium-grain rice: small grains, half-centimeter long, oval-shaped, for soups, paella and risotto, porriges and pilaw. More viscous when boiled. Cook semitransparent rice with medium-size grains for 15 minutes, then let it stay covered with a lid for 10 minutes. Soak white medium-grain rice in water for 20 minutes, then cook it in the same water for 15 minutes. Water and medium-grain rice ratio is - 2,25 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- Round-grain rice - is the rice with round grains, sticks together when boiled, that is why it is perfect for sushi and rice au gratin. - Cook it for 10 minutes after the water starts to boil. Water and round-grain rice ratio is - 2,5 cups of water for 1 cup of rice, as it adsorbs water well.