How long to boil corn on the cob
Put young corn (of white or pale yellow colour) into a saucepan with cold water, bring to a boil, and cook for 10-15 minutes. Cook old (bright yellow) or feed corn ears from 50 minutes to 2 hours. Rub boiled corn with salt and butter - and the corn is ready!
How to cook corn
How to boil corn in a pot
1. If you boil the corn at the day of purchase, it will be soft and retain its unique health properties. Wash and clean corn ears from dirty leaves before cooking. Do not remove clean leaves, it will give a delicious smell of boiled corn.
2. Cook corn ears in a thick-walled pot, put the corn into cold water.
3. Boil corn under a tightly closed lid, water should cover the corn for a couple of centimeters. Cook corn for 15 minutes after the water starts boiling.
4. You can determine whether the corn is ready by tasting or checking whether its grains are soft with a fork.
5. After cooking, leave the corn in a closed pot for 10 minutes. Remove boiled corn from the pan, rub it with butter, salt and spices. Serve it to the table hot.
Attention! In the process of cooking, do not add salt, as corn may get hard. Add salt to the corn at the end of cooking, or rather rub it with salt. The stalk is not intended for eating. You can sprinkle corn with grated cheese to diversify the taste of boiled corn. You may cut the corn into parts if its size is too big for a pot.
How to cook corn in a steamer
Wash the corn and place it in the leaves, place ears in a streamer. Cook young corn cubs for 5-10 minutes in a steamer. Cook feed or old corn in a streamer for 40 minutes. It is necessary to pour 1 cup of water to generate steam for cooking.
How to cook corn in an oven
Wash, clean and place the corn tightly in a deep baking dish greased with butter. Pour boiling water into the corn, so that it barely covers the corn. Heat the oven to 120 degrees, put the dish with corn into the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
How to boil corn in a pressure cooker
Wash the corn, put it into a pressure cooker, cover with water so that the corn is fully covered with it, boil young ears for 10-15 minutes, old or feed ears - for 40 minutes.
How to cook corn in a microwave
A quick way - with no water
It is important to determine the kind of corn for cooking it in a microwave without water - it should be young. Put the corn in a food plastic bag, tie it tightly and cook for 10 minutes at 800 W. You may cut the ears into parts leaving the corn in leaves, and cook in its own juice for 5 minutes with the same power.
A slow way - with water
Only young corn is suitable for cooking in a microwave. Wash the corn, put it into a container for microwave, pour the water and cover it with a lid. Set the microwave for 45 minutes and 700-800 W. It is important to make sure that the water does not boil away in a microwave, and add hot water if it is necessary.
How to warm the corn
In a microwave
1. If the corn is in a vacuum packing, please, remove it.
2. Put the corn into a deep dish suitable for microwave ovens.
3. Pour the water so that the corn plunge in it by 1 centimeter.
4. Put the dish with corn into a microwave, close the oven door.
5. Set the microwave power at 650-700 W, time of cooking - 1.5 minutes.
6. To prevent corn from drying up, turn the corn so that the side that was in the water is at the top. The corn can be hot by touch but remember about its stalk that did not have enough time to warm up and can make the corn cold again.
7. Put the dish with corn into a microwave again and cook it for another 1-1.5 minutes depending on how cold the corn was.
In a pan
1. If the corn is in a vacuum packing, please, remove it.
2. Preheat the pan, pour a tablespoon of oil in it.
3. Put the corn into a pan, cook at medium heat for 3 minutes, turn it constantly.
4. Pour 3 tablespoons of water, cover the pan with a lid and heat for another 5 minutes, turn every 1 minute.
In a pot
1. If the corn is in a vacuum packing, please, remove it, and if there is no more broth, pour half a cup of water into the pot.
2. Place corn in 1 layer.
3. Put the pot with corn over the heat, cook for 5 minutes with a closed lid.
4. Turn the corn so that the side that was in the water is at the top.
5. Warm up the corn for another 5 minutes.
In a multicooker
1. Put the corn into a multicooker, remove vacuum package if it is necessary.
2. Pour a glass of water into the multicooker.
3. Put the corn in 1 layer, close the lid.
4. Set the "Grilling" mode and warm up for 5 minutes.
How to cook dried corn
1. Put dried corn into a small pot; remember that 50 grams of the dried corn will make the amount of grains in a corn ear of a 1 medium size.
2. Pour water or milk into the corn so that the liquid covers it by 1-2 cm.
3. To enhance the taste of corn, add salt and sugar (a teaspoon of salt and / or a tablespoon of sugar for 1 liter of broth).
4. Put the pot with the lid open over medium heat, bring the liquid to a boil, then cover it with lid and reduce heat - dried corn should be cooked at low boil for 1 minute.
5. Remove the pot with corn from the heat and leave it to infuse for 10 minutes, then add some more liquid (water or milk) if it is necessary.
6. Cook the corn for 1.5-2 hours, constantly repeat the procedure of boiling and steep for grains; please, do not forget to add some liquid as it evaporates. You need to constantly taste grains for readiness in the process of cooking (the corn is ready when it is soft).
7. Remove the pot with ready corn from heat, drain off the liquid, add butter and spices to corn (to taste). Ready grains are soft and elastic.
You can soak dried corn in a cold water for 6 hours to simplify cooking of dried corn, and then cook it for 1-1.5 hours at low heat.
How to chose a good corn
Young corn grains have light yellow colour, ears themselves are small and not too long, corn rows are perfectly aligned, dense, of the same color. As shown in the picture :) If you want to make sure that the corn is young, cut the grain - there should appear juice, white as milk. You may cut an ear - it should be white or pale white. Sweet corn has whitish soft tendrils at the end of the ear; but the feed and old corn have more dense brown tendrils. Pale yellow corn is a corn of average "age" and it is cooked longer. Over-ripe, with bright yellow grains corn is cooked even longer, up to 2 hours. Consider the area where the corn was grown, for example, southern corn is usually milder.
The taste and softness of corn grains depend on many factors (where and under what climate corn was grown, whether watering was regular, how corn was fertilized, and so on), as well as due to different varieties of corn and human tastes, "hard" corn may become softer after 4 hours of cooking.
How to eat corn
Eat the corn holding it with one or two hands by the ear end. You may dip corn in sour cream, salty broth, tomato paste, mustard sauce, or their mixture. Nibble grain from the ear in circle or in layers - gently at first, as the corn may be very hot inside, because the ear cools down longer than grains. Two forks are served for corn: sink them into the ear ends and hold it by the forks. Forks for corn help to avoid burns and let hands be clean, but there is a real problem to dip corn into sauce with forks.
Boiled corn enegry value - 130 calories per 100 grams.
Corn storage-life - Store raw corn in a refrigerator up to 2 weeks, in vegetable section. Eat boiled corn right after cooking, otherwise its taste and nutritional properties wil gradually be lost. Store boiled corn in a refrigerator for 2 daysas a maximum. Keep boiled corn in corn broth. Corn starts to lose taste in 2 hours after it is cooked, so you need to cook the amount of corn that is supposed to be eaten at a time.
Cooking pot - the most suitable pot for cooking is broad and deep, it should have enough space for corn. If there is no such a pot, break every corn into 2-3 pieces.
Boiled corn benefits
Corn is rich in vitamins A (regulates metabolism), C (immunity), E (protects the body at the cellular level), thiamine (vitamin B1, responsible for growth and development of cardiovascular, nervous and digestive systems), (ensures proper functioning of thyroid gland and is responsible for healthy skin, hair and nails). Corn is rich in fiber (helps to cleanse the body from toxins) and potassium (supplies body with fluid), it is well absorbed by the body.